Feb 24th 2004
February 23rd, the most unforgettable day of my life. On the previous night 22nd Feb, Thimma signaled me something. He was telling there is a birthday coming and it is of a very important person to me. I guessed it would be of Kavi but had no idea how soon it is. I knew Thimma wouldn’t tell me that so never cared to ask him. I thought of waiting for it. As usual I was searching for Kavi in the morning assembly and couldn’t get any glimpse of her. After entering class I silently looked at girls’ desk and guess what, Kavi was wearing colored dress. It means her birthday is today. I cursed Thimma for not telling it clearly. He had taken a nice revenge on me for quarreling with him. I was sad thinking I could not even get a greeting card for her. But I was helpless. That was in between the week and I can’t go to Kuknoor also. She gave chocolates to all. Even to me, with lot of Oh Oh’s in the background. I thought I missed a great chance.
After lunch in the noon I was taking rest in my dormitory. Then my friends Seenu and Amar came to me and started asking me what did I gift Kavi on her birthday? What the hell? I thought. When I said I had no idea of her birthday so couldn’t give any gift they started scolding me. Along with that they started encouraging me to go to Kuknoor right now and buy a gift for her. Going out of the campus, without permission that too in the middle of the day skipping afternoon studies was dangerous!!. It would directly lead to lot of beatings and even suspension or strong warning if I got caught. But they dint listen. They started encouraging me more and more. There were two other friends who also started encouraging me to go for it. So we sat down and framed the plan. We’ll jump the compound and go by route B (we had three separate routes to escape to Kuknoor). Seenu and I will be going and Amar will look after our attendance for afternoon studies.
So we jumped the compound and went to Kuknoor. We went to a shop and asked for birthday gift. It was the first ever gift I would be giving to Kavi (In fact to anyone). I wanted it to be special. I was totally confused in selecting it. I took some time, tried RHTDM style too (closing the eyes and selecting). I finally selected one wall peace. It was cute. I dint know whether she would like it or not, but selected it. I wrote from and to in the back and even after saying not to, Seenu got it packed by a wrapper which had love symbols all over it.
We came back to school. Luckily no one traced us and there was no problem at attendance also. Amar was too excited and was waiting for our arrival. We came to know that taking so much trouble to bring gift from Kuknoor was nothing hard compared to the task which was ahead. Giving that gift to her. Already afternoon studies were over. They asked me to give it to her when they come near school building to play basketball. So I took that gift in my bag and went near school building. She was not playing basketball. She was sitting with friends near entrance. I observed her. She was wearing a nice light yellow dress. I looked and kept looking. She was looking like a cute angel in that dress. I thought our pair would look cool. Hmmm. Then my mind reminded me of the task ahead. I waited for right opportunity but couldn’t get it. She went back to her room. I was disappointed.
I told this to Seenu and Amar. Now they formed another and last plan. One of my junior Siddu was good at these things. And he was close to Kavi and even to us. We gave him that gift and told him to go silently from behind the mess and give her. Again luck was not in my favor. By the time he went there, she was gone.
I couldn’t get sleep that night. Many thoughts were passing through my mind. I had no idea how she would feel when I give that gift to her. Shall I give it or not? What if she scolds? What if she gets upset? But I can try once. After all it’s her birthday. She too might have some feelings on me. Who knows she too might be expecting any gift from me. May be she expected and sad now as I dint give. I felt as if my mind will crash. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I had no clue about what’s going to happen the next day.
As discussed with Seenu and Amar previous night, I took the gift to class. I went there earlier than anyone and silently hidden the gift in my desk. I used to sit with Shree whenever I quarreled with Thimma. So that day I was sitting with Shree. In no time he found out the hidden gift which I bought. I hated him. I dint care much about him. I just waited for the time to become 8.30.
The clock stuck 8.30. I had not listened to any class that morning. I kept looking at Kavi. As much as I saw her my heart beat got faster. I felt as if those two morning periods will never get over. It was physics class and Rekha mam was writing derivations after derivations on board. Not even a single line went inside my mind. Finally the bell struck. It was time. My only concern at that time was that how if Kavi left class early. I had to give her the gift with only few people around. Else it would be a great scandal in my school. But luck was in my favor that day. She didn’t leave early. Slowly one by one started leaving the class. All girls left except Kavi and Shiv. Sree was in no mood to go. But his presence never bothered me. Finally she got up and started walking out. I took the gift and ran behind her and caught her near the stairs. I stopped her near the stairs. Shiv stood a bit away from her. I gathered all my courage and called her.
“Kavi”
I had called her name for the first time ever. I had hidden the gift in my notes. She turned back in surprise and just waited for me to continue.
“Happy Birthday, Please accept this gift”. I said.
I had no idea what was going to happen next. She spoke
“Thanks, but why are you giving me this gift?”
“Just as a friend” I said. She was looking into my eyes very carefully. She had guessed my lie in no time and that too with a gift wrap full of love symbols. ‘I am a bad liar’ I thought. My heart was pounding.
“Thank you” she said with a lovely smile and accepted it.
“Happy birthday again, bye”.
“Bye” and she left.
I was on cloud 9. My heart was filled with infinite happiness. I just ran towards room. As expected Amar was waiting for me near the entrance of the dormitory to hear from me.
“What happened?”
“Success”
This is all I could say to him. He had guessed it just by looking at my happy face. I was happy. But somewhere in my mind something was troubling me. Some fear. It may be the fear of losing Kavi’s friendship forever. ’Did she really feel I gave the gift just as a friend?’ or ‘she guessed I was lying?’ I kept on thinking about it. Went to breakfast and never looked on the other side of mess towards girls. I went to class after breakfast, never dared to look at Kavi or any of the girls. I had no idea how her mood was. I dint know whether she was angry or happy. I felt she had informed all the girls and they are ready to bash me after class. Still tension was not over.
I could not listen to the class whole day. After 3rd period I silently gazed at her. She was normal and as usual listening to class with utmost concentration. It felt as if there was no change in her mood. Ufff I was relieved a bit. After the class she went to lunch normally, rather cheerfully and after seeing that my heart was jumping with joy. It was easier than I thought.
Comments
Post a Comment